A Slew of Savary Sensations

For all you women out there who have experienced the brain trauma of figuring out what to have for dinner or need helpful food preparation tips...this blog's for you! Here you can find great recipes and tips from the women of the Savary Slew. Ladies and gentlemen, start your salavatin', please!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Make-Me-Matron Pot Roast


Ok, so I haven't decided on the exact title of this recipe...but Matt and I concluded that I am now 2/3 matron of our household because 1) I've had a child, 2) I have now made a pot roast. All I lack is making a bird ::terror::. This was so scrumdidleyumptious (sp?)! I also used my crock pot...for only the third time since we've been married. How much easier can a dish get? Seriously! I threw it all in at 9:00 am, made some biscuts at 5:00, and we were eating at 5:30. Not to mention the house smelled absolutely wonderful all day, and my hubby got to walk in from work to the smell. I think he loves me more now. ;-)

MMM Pot Roast
(does that work? Make Me Matron Pot Roast)

1 Beef Chuck Roast (3-4 lbs)
5 Red Potatoes
3 Carrots
3 Celery Stalks
Salt
Pepper
Oregano
Thyme
Bay Leaf (dried flakes)
1/2 can beef broth

1) Dig the eyes out of the potatoes but do not peel them. Chop into 1" cubes. Thinly slice carrots, and thickly slice celery. Place veggies in bottom of crock pot. Place roast on top of veggies; sprinkle with seasonings to desired taste. Turn roast over and sprinkle other side with all seasonings. Pour 1/2 can beef broth into crock pot (but not on top of the roast or the seasonings will flow off).
2) Set crock pot to low for either 8 or 10 hours depending on your pot's settings.
3) Remove roast when ready and let rest on a cutting board for about 10 minutes. Carve or shred and serve up with the roasted veggies and some biscuits. You can also throw some flour and/or cornstarch into the juices, stir and cook until thickened, for some gravy (I'll do that next time).

*If you don't have a crock pot, I'm sure my mom has a suggestion of how you can do it in the oven. ;-)

Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups flour
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening or butter (room temperature)
3/4 cup milk

1) Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well. Cut in shortening and butter with a pastry blender or 2 utensils until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk with a fork until dough forms.
2) On a floured surface, knead dough 10 times. Pat out to no less than 1/2 inch thick. Cut out biscuits and place on stone or baking sheet, touching. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

*Your's should look a little more browned than the ones in the picture...we were tired of waiting to dig into the roast, so I took them out a little early! :-P

Soooo tasty! Try it! It seems very fool-proof! I couldn't even carve the roast because it was just falling apart it was so tender! Oh, and if your roast has twine on it, make sure to cut that off after cooking and before carving. No one likes to floss while in the middle of chewing. (And no, I didn't do that...just making sure none of you do.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Autumn said...

::slurping up the drool::

I am so hungry now! hey, how's the chuck roast on the fat-content scale? I want to buy a roast now. I have the song running in my head "You're my inspira-a-tion"

12:09 PM  
Blogger Kathie said...

Dawn,
how did you tweek this to make it yours instead of like Janet's? It looks yummy, I can't wait to try it. I realized the other day that we will be doing alot of crockpot meals once the basketball/cheerleading season starts. We have to be there 30 mins. before game time and some start at 6pm. Should be interesting :)

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home