Got French Bread?
Remember back to my post about how to be economical and portion-wise with garlic bread? Well, make sure you check your freezer before putting French bread on your list. Otherwise you'll have more bread than you know what to do with...like me.
So I decided that rather than have LOADS of garlic bread in my freezer, I'd find a way to use the French loaf I just bought. It was grand! I had some jarred spaghetti sauce, shredded mozzarella, and pepperoni on hand. Cut the loaf in half, then cut each half into quarters. Scrape out most of the bread from the middle, being careful not to put a hole in the crust. You can leave all the inside if you want, but that's alot of bread! Either bake or broil the loaf quarters until they are toasty to the touch to avoid soggy bread. Then top with sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. Finish baking/broiling until cheese is melted. I prefer to bake a little to get them toasty, then broil to melt the cheese and crisp the pepperoni. It's so fast and quite tasty! Also a good idea for party appetizers -- just use a pizza cutter to cut the quarters into short strips.
Note: Remember to watch closely when you broil. Notice the tip of the French bread...that happened in less than a minute! Using the low setting on broil allows more room for error. NEVER forget about food broiling...it can catch fire.
So I decided that rather than have LOADS of garlic bread in my freezer, I'd find a way to use the French loaf I just bought. It was grand! I had some jarred spaghetti sauce, shredded mozzarella, and pepperoni on hand. Cut the loaf in half, then cut each half into quarters. Scrape out most of the bread from the middle, being careful not to put a hole in the crust. You can leave all the inside if you want, but that's alot of bread! Either bake or broil the loaf quarters until they are toasty to the touch to avoid soggy bread. Then top with sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. Finish baking/broiling until cheese is melted. I prefer to bake a little to get them toasty, then broil to melt the cheese and crisp the pepperoni. It's so fast and quite tasty! Also a good idea for party appetizers -- just use a pizza cutter to cut the quarters into short strips.
Note: Remember to watch closely when you broil. Notice the tip of the French bread...that happened in less than a minute! Using the low setting on broil allows more room for error. NEVER forget about food broiling...it can catch fire.

5 Comments:
Looks yummy...what about French toast? :)
What a great idea! Nolan saw the picture and decided he wanted that for dinner one night this week.
Oh, and I didn't know that you could catch things on fire while broiling them...Never had that experience. But I've HEARD that turning the wrong burner of the stove on under a glass pan of brownies can result in an explosion, send shards of glass everywhere and allowing the plastic knife in the pan to land on the hot burner causing it to catch fire. All of which results in a drenched kitchen and a huge burn on the mica countertop. But then again, I've only HEARD that could happen...:)
Jenna,
Seem to know alot of details about something you have only heard about :D
:) Well, you know...maybe it happened to someone I know well ;)
lol, one for the books I say ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home