A Slew of Savary Sensations

For all you women out there who have experienced the brain trauma of figuring out what to have for dinner or need helpful food preparation tips...this blog's for you! Here you can find great recipes and tips from the women of the Savary Slew. Ladies and gentlemen, start your salavatin', please!

Monday, October 09, 2006

TIP: storing ground beef

This is how I buy and store ground beef. I only use 92% lean (or better) ground beef to cut back on fat, especially the unhealthy saturated fat found in most of the foods we get from animals. Unfortunately, eating nutritiously is more expensive so I wait for a good sale and stock up when it happens!

I buy quart-size freezer bags which are handy for storing 1 - 1.5 pounds of ground beef. Then I label each bag (use a Sharpie!) with the contents and date. I divide the meat into approximate 1 lb. portions in each bag. Then - here's my fun part - I close the bag halfway then squish, mash, squash the meat until it's relatively flat and takes up most of the bag. Then seal it off, stack them up, and stick 'em in the freezer. It makes me feel so organized every time I open the freezer. It takes up less space than the grocery store packages and are in handy portions. This storage method also enables the meat to thaw more quickly because it's thinner than a big hunk of ground meat.



4 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

Hey! I've done that once...and totally forgot about it. Probably because I didn't have qt. sized bags. Now I use foil and make my own chubs of 1/2 to 1 lb of meat. Love the Edy's...but plain vanilla? What is WITH people like you and Matt??

9:58 PM  
Blogger Kathie said...

HEY, I love plain vanilla too!! It is soooo versatile.
I do what Aut does too but I don't squish it down...that is a great idea! Thanks :)

5:55 AM  
Blogger Autumn said...

um, actually, someone else brought that ice cream over to our house to go with an apple crisp they had made. I do happen to like vanilla, but I don't usually buy it.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great idea, and one that I really should use! I can't tell you how many days I haven't had a chance to go grocery shopping (read: little baby that momma does feel coordinated enough to take by herself), only to open the refrigerator and say, "there's nothing in this house to eat!" Frozen meat would certainly help solve this problem. :)

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home