A Slew of Savary Sensations

For all you women out there who have experienced the brain trauma of figuring out what to have for dinner or need helpful food preparation tips...this blog's for you! Here you can find great recipes and tips from the women of the Savary Slew. Ladies and gentlemen, start your salavatin', please!

Friday, September 08, 2006

Cococabana Bread

This one is an original with me, assuming the definition of original is "using a basic recipe for a common dish and altering it in some way." It is a basic recipe for banana bread taken from Better Homes and Garden's 75th Anniversary Cookbook with a touch of Dawn's Kitchen. What would you all say qualifies as orginal?

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (approx. 5 medium)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350. If not using stone bakeware, grease bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of baking pan(s).

1) In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp salt. Make a well in teh center of flour mixture.

2) In another bowl, combine eggs, bananas, sugar, and oil. Mix well. Add egg mixture all at once in well of flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold in nuts and coconut. Pour into baking pan(s). Bake according to chart directions, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

9x5x3" loaf pan: 55-60 minutes
8x4x3" loaf pan: 40-45 minutes
2 1/2" muffin cups: 15-20 minutes
mini-muffin cups: 12-15 minutes

Tips:
~I halved this recipe to make in my small oval Pampered Chef baker. I eyed the walnuts and coconut. And I totally forgot to include the salt. So...if any of you do make this, please tell me if it turns out ok!
~I may try sprinkling some extra coconut on top of the batter before baking so it toasts up and gives a little extra punch of coconut flavor and texture.
~I used sweetened shredded coconut because that's what I had on hand.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are the coconuts essential, or one of those things you can eliminate?

2:25 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

No, you don't have to use coconut...I just had it around. If you don't, it will be a basic banana nut bread. :-)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

No, you don't have to use coconut...I just had it around. If you don't, it will be a basic banana nut bread. :-)

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home