A Slew of Savary Sensations

For all you women out there who have experienced the brain trauma of figuring out what to have for dinner or need helpful food preparation tips...this blog's for you! Here you can find great recipes and tips from the women of the Savary Slew. Ladies and gentlemen, start your salavatin', please!

Friday, June 30, 2006

Chicken & Asparagus Risotto

This recipe tops the rest in my opinion (and, no I haven't had all the others, but I'm sure of this one!). This is a Pampered Chef recipe I tried because Matt had never had asparagus and I had not had it in a LONG time. I have always said I hate asparagus. I think my taste buds grew up. I love it! It is such a light green bean flavor, and I do like the texture. Marry it with some chicken and lemon and you'll want to eat it ALL in one sitting! It's quick and easy, too.

Chicken & Asparagus Risotto

6 chicken breast halves (4 oz each)
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1/3 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 lemon
2 cups milk
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups (or 1 bunch) asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
2 cups instant long-grain white rice

Season chicken breasts with ¼ tsp of the salt and black pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts; cook 5-7 minutes on each side or until chicken is no longer pink.

Meanwhile, chop onion and cut asparagus. Press garlic. Zest lemon to measure 1 Tbs zest. Place everything in one bowl.

Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Add milk, soup, asparagus, onion, garlic, cheese, lemon zest, and remaining ¼ tsp salt to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.

Stir in rice; top with chicken. Cover pan; remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.

Tips:
*After rinsing asparagus, grab the bottom end with one hand and grasp the middle with the other. If you gently bend the asparagus, it will snap at the point where the woody part meets the good part. It's much easier, faster, and more fun than deciding where to cut each asparagus. Then just line up three at a time and cut them into 2 or 3 pieces.
*Make sure you get INSTANT white rice. Don't learn my way...the hard way. I usually let even the instant rice sit for 20 minutes to make sure it's soft. I just get some on a fork and test it now and then.
*After adding the rice and chicken to the skillet, cut the lemon in half and squeeze some juice over the top for an extra lemon-fresh kick (careful of seeds).

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaclyn said...

I am so glad that you posted this recipe! I loved it and had forgotten about it until you put it here. I will have to make it sometime soon formy family. Love you!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Kathie said...

YEAH!!! I've been waiting for this :) Thank you

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home