Santa Fe Turkey Saute
From Pampered Chef's Casual Cooking cookbook. This is such a FAST dish to make! It's the first time I've made turkey in our househole. I have been hesitant because of the peach salsa topping, but it was delicious and expanded our palate. The peach perfectly compliments the turkey. I bet you could even combine the peach with other fruit, such as cranberry, for the topping.
Prep/Cook time: 25 minutes. 4 servings (I say 6).
1 medium peach, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 Tbs snipped fresh cilantro
3/4 cup thick and chunky salsa
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
1-1 1/4 lb turkey breast slices (about 6-7)
2 tsp cooking oil, divided
1) Coarsely chop peach after peeling. Snip cilantro. In a small bowl combine peach, cilantro, and salsa; set aside.
2) In a shallow dish, combine cornmeal, flour, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Coat both sides of each turkey slice with cornmeal mixture. Discard any remaining cornmeal mixture.
3) In a skillet, heat 1 tsp of oil over medium heat until hot. Add half of the turkey slices. Cook 2 minutes; turn with a spatula. Continue cooking 2 minutes or until coating is golden brown and turkey is no longer pink. Remove turkey from skillet onto serving platter; keep warm. Cook remaining turkey slices in remaining 1 tsp oil. To serve, top with peach salsa.
My Tips and Edits:
~Fresh cilantro has a VERY strong flavor, one that I am not fond of. When we ate the leftover turkey slices, I combined chopped peach with a little juice from the salsa (no chunks) and that was MUCH better. It brought out the peach flavor much more.
~Serve with seasoned or wild rice and a green veggie, esp. green beans.
Prep/Cook time: 25 minutes. 4 servings (I say 6).
1 medium peach, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 Tbs snipped fresh cilantro
3/4 cup thick and chunky salsa
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
1-1 1/4 lb turkey breast slices (about 6-7)
2 tsp cooking oil, divided
1) Coarsely chop peach after peeling. Snip cilantro. In a small bowl combine peach, cilantro, and salsa; set aside.
2) In a shallow dish, combine cornmeal, flour, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Coat both sides of each turkey slice with cornmeal mixture. Discard any remaining cornmeal mixture.
3) In a skillet, heat 1 tsp of oil over medium heat until hot. Add half of the turkey slices. Cook 2 minutes; turn with a spatula. Continue cooking 2 minutes or until coating is golden brown and turkey is no longer pink. Remove turkey from skillet onto serving platter; keep warm. Cook remaining turkey slices in remaining 1 tsp oil. To serve, top with peach salsa.
My Tips and Edits:
~Fresh cilantro has a VERY strong flavor, one that I am not fond of. When we ate the leftover turkey slices, I combined chopped peach with a little juice from the salsa (no chunks) and that was MUCH better. It brought out the peach flavor much more.
~Serve with seasoned or wild rice and a green veggie, esp. green beans.

1 Comments:
sorry, but this line had me crackin' up:
"I've made turkey in our househole."
hee hee hee!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home