Garlic Bread

**EDIT** I did it again last night but sliced all the way through each slice. I like it better that way because then you don't have to worry about finishing the slicing when you pull it out to cook it. Also, I forgot to mention to make the slices thinner rather than thicker. It makes the loaf last longer and cuts down on portion.
For those of you who like fresh garlic bread with your Italian dishes...and who doesn't?...I thought I'd share what I do since there are only two in my household who have teeth to eat it. A whole loaf at one dinner is out of the question for us, and a whole loaf would probably mold before we could eat it all!
I buy a fresh French loaf from the bakery at our grocery store. When I get home, I slice it up into sections of four slices each...four slices because that is two for each of us -- enough to be satisfied but not enough to go overboard on bread. I cut almost all the way through on the slices, and ALL the way through after four slices. I hope that makes sense. I then mix some softened butter with garlic powder and dried parsley to taste. The back of a spoon works GREAT to butter one side of each slice. Then I saran wrap each section of four slices, place in a ziploc bag, and freeze!
On the day you wish to have garlic bread, just pull out one section sometime during the day (morning or lunch) to thaw on the counter. Set your oven to broil, and open the saran wrap. Use a bread knife or your fingers to finish pulling the four slices apart. Place butter side up on a baking sheet or stone. Place under the broiler and keep a CLOSE eye...it works very quickly! We have found that about a minute and a half is all that is needed under a high setting for broil. Low is a little longer (if your oven even has the option). After the butter side is lightly browned around the edges (or charred...however you like it), use tongs or a fork to flip the slices over and broil the other side to desired doneness. It leaves you with perfect garlic bread - crisp crust with a buttery soft but lightly toasted middle. Mmmm!
Also, props to Jenna for making me feel like this blog is worth it! She has tried several recipes and likes them...And all the while being a brand new mommy!

5 Comments:
Two things :)
1)this blog is sooo worth it. I've done several of the recipes too and they are so yummy. It also keeps me informed about my daughters' culinary adventures :)
2)I will double check with MY pampered chef aka Diane, but I don't think stones are supposed to be put under the broiler. I think they could crack. That would be a sad thing.
Thanks for posting about the garlic bread. We often will eat a whole loaf...just the three of us, there is just no need for that!
I had the same thought... vaguely remembering something about stones and broilers being a bad duo.
Oh dear. Yes please check...though I have been broiling with stones ever since I've been the master chef in my home. The only times I've had stones break is putting them on a hot stove burner by accident.
I do have a picture of this process I plan to upload when blogger cooperates.
I want to try some recipes from this blog that I started...but none so far have been to the taste of my hubby and/or me nor adaptable to two-person meals. Any suggestions?
I love reading the receipes, but have yet to try any. They have all sounded wonderful to me! I do like this idea for garlic bread, Dawn, and hope that I remember it one day when I only have to prepare food for two people. Right now, though, we easily eat a whole loaf- and that is with eating only 2 slices, dad getting three :-)
We also like to put parmesan cheese in our garlic bread mixture. It is sooo yummy!
Oh yes! This blog is worth it. :) And this is a GREAT idea for garlic bread. We never eat a whole loaf before it goes stale and I always feel so wasteful. I'll definitely use this idea next time I'm making garlic bread!
Post a Comment
<< Home