A Slew of Savary Sensations

For all you women out there who have experienced the brain trauma of figuring out what to have for dinner or need helpful food preparation tips...this blog's for you! Here you can find great recipes and tips from the women of the Savary Slew. Ladies and gentlemen, start your salavatin', please!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Autumn Soup

Hailey asked me, "Are you going to put YOU in the soup?!?"

AUTUMN SOUP

1 lb ground beef (I use extra-lean)
1 cup onion, chopped
4 cups water
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup celery, sliced
1 cup potatoes, cubed
1/4 tsp. pepper
1-2 bay leaf
1/8 tsp. basil
28 oz. can tomatoes (whole or diced)
4 beef bullion cubes

In a large pot, cook beef and onion until beef is done and onions are tender. Drain fat.
Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; simmer at least 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

*note: this is better the longer it cooks or if you cook then serve the next day. I like to serve it with homemade cornbread muffins. I could give you that recipe, too.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

If I list you as an ingredient, will you fly to Salinas so I can make some??

Also very tasty with crescent rolls, though self-control is hard with those buttery buds! I've never thought to try it with cornbread.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Autumn said...

.. if you're paying for the ticket, YES!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Kathie said...

Hey, I'm half way. If you both come here I'll make the soup and I won't even cook Autumn :D Maybe Thanksgiving

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I thought this was a secret recipe?

8:09 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Oh no! That was the chocolate chip pumpkin bread. But it has been "released" from captivity. But I think we'll leave it up to Autumn to post it if she wants since it did come from her.

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this soup this week and it was oh-so yummy! I used canned tomatoes with onion and garlic, and although I'm not sure what it would be like with plain tomatoes, this was really yummy!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Kathie said...

Jenna,
I'm so glad you liked it. It truly is a family favorite :)
Kathie

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home