A Slew of Savary Sensations

For all you women out there who have experienced the brain trauma of figuring out what to have for dinner or need helpful food preparation tips...this blog's for you! Here you can find great recipes and tips from the women of the Savary Slew. Ladies and gentlemen, start your salavatin', please!

Friday, August 09, 2013

Food Revival!

I propose that we resurrect this blog! We are all in different seasons (no pun intended) of life now, and our approaches to nutrition and good living have evolved. I've enjoyed reviewing all our archived recipes and can't wait to give some of them a try.

A few things in my life have changed dramatically since my last posting. I graduated nursing school and began working as a RN. I went through a divorce. I moved to a new rental house with my three children. I met someone wonderful who is now my husband. I bought a house and moved. I gave birth (at home for the first time) to our sweet son. Currently, I am mostly staying at home with 12 week old Matthias (and Erik, Hailey and Noah as their summer break is winding down) and finding much joy in home management and family life.

I love my kitchen! I've never felt so at home in my own kitchen as I do now. There are plenty of countertops, cabinets, and drawers. It's a nice open space. It's functional, and I find myself inspired to branch and try new things in the world of food preparation. The only thing I would change today would be the lighting. It could use some improvement.

This summer I have instituted "Kids in the Kitchen." It's my own way to involve our children in menu planning, shopping, food preparation and clean-up. Each child gets to choose the menu one night every week. On that particular evening they help me in the kitchen, and I try to teach them how to cook. In real life, I am usually overly hungry and quite impatient with the child as we work together but I am working to prevent/improve this situation. I figure it's better to do it imperfectly than not do it at all. I just hope they can see that cooking can be enjoyable despite a grouchy Momma. They really find great satisfaction in "owning" the meal for that night. I take them to the local farmer's market and grocery store most weeks and teach them about nutrition, how to select the best produce and meats, and how to make your dollar stretch when buying food.

What's for dinner at your house tonight? We are having Chicken Pot Pie and salad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Autumn said...

P.s. The blog could use a makeover, yes?

12:03 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Why yes, yes it could. :-) I'm not sure what we're having yet since Hubz will not be home for dinner. Maybe eggs and smoothies!

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home