A Slew of Savary Sensations

For all you women out there who have experienced the brain trauma of figuring out what to have for dinner or need helpful food preparation tips...this blog's for you! Here you can find great recipes and tips from the women of the Savary Slew. Ladies and gentlemen, start your salavatin', please!

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

After 5 years of trying and editing this one recipe, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! So easy and tasty! Obviously, you can adjust the ingredient amounts to fit your taste. The orginal recipe came from Lori, a lady Matt and I used to work with at Union University. I like to include tips in my recipes…hope you’re not annoyed! ;-)

1 boneless skinless chicken breast
1 cup frozen peas/carrots
1/2 cup frozen corn
2-3 white or red potatoes (the key is waxy, not mealy)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 – 1 Tbs dried basil or majoram
1/4 tsp pepperDash salt
1 pkg rolled pie crust dough (should have 2 inside)

Remove pie crust package from refrigerator to soften while you prepare the filling. Preheat oven to 450.

Place chicken breast in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and remove from heat. Let sit 10-15 minutes until no longer pink in center. This poaches the chicken, leaving it moist and tender. Overboiling can dry out chicken, believe it or not.

Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cube into bite-sized pieces. Place in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to med-low and simmer uncovered 10 minutes until just tender. Drain.

While potatoes and chicken are cooking, unroll one crust and place in bottom of pie plate. Press against bottom and sides; prick bottom a few times. Place in oven about 5 minutes or until just very lightly browned (prevents soggy crust).

When chicken is done, cube into small pieces. In a large bowl, combine soup and seasonings; mix well. Stir in vegetables and chicken. Gently fold in potatoes. Spoon filling into bottom pie crust. Unroll remaining dough and place on top of filling. Fold under edge; crimp with fingers or fork. With a sharp knife, carefully cut a few slits (or a design!) into the top. Cover edge with foil or pie crust shield. Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Blazin’ hot when it comes out — don’t burn yourself by trying to enjoy it too quickly!

2 Comments:

Blogger Autumn said...

That's beautiful! We are having chicken pot pie tonight. It's Erik's Night in the kitchen. We LOVE chicken pot pie! I'm making my own pastry dough though. Haven't done that for pot pie yet...

11:13 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I actually do still use this recipe! Though I don't usually measure the spices. I now use home made cream soup, and just this week made my own crust! I go back and forth between store-bought and homemade crust. Depends on time and money!

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home