A Slew of Savary Sensations

For all you women out there who have experienced the brain trauma of figuring out what to have for dinner or need helpful food preparation tips...this blog's for you! Here you can find great recipes and tips from the women of the Savary Slew. Ladies and gentlemen, start your salavatin', please!

Friday, April 06, 2007

Chicken Tenders & de Basic Sauce



This is a recipe I got off of Allrecipes.com. I read many of the reviews and combined some of their edits. Here is the original recipe: Breaded Chicken Fingers. And here is my recipe. I've also included our new BBQ sauce recipe that we've worked on for a while. We call it "de Basic Sauce" because of my initials and because it is a great beginner BBQ sauce.

Chicken Tenders

2-4 bonless/skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips
1 egg, beaten
1 cup buttermilk (see note)
1/2 tsp paprika

3/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

2 eggs, beaten

Vegetable oil for frying

1) Trim fat off of chicken; rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1/2 inch strips and place in a gallon ziploc.

2) In a small bowl, mix egg, buttermilk, and paprika. Pour into bag with chicken. Seal and refrigerate 2 to 4 hours.

3) In another gallon ziploc, mix together flour, bread crumbs, salt, and baking powder. Remove chicken from refrigerator, drain, and discard buttermilk mixture. Place chicken in breading bag; seal and shake to coat.

4) In a shallow dish, beat 2 eggs. Remove chicken from breading bag and dip each strip in egg. Place chicken in breading bag once more; seal and shake to coat.

5) Heat about 2" of oil over medium heat. Carefully place chicken strips in oil; fry until golden brown and juices run clear (3-4 minutes total for regular strips; slightly longer for thicker sections). Drain on paper towels.

Notes:

~If you don't have buttermilk, use 1 Tbs lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to equal 1 cup. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
~The double coating method was highly recommended in the reviews. It really is not much work, so do it! I removed all the chicken after the first coating and placed it on a cookie sheet. That way I could dip the strips in egg and put them right back in the breading bag. I then placed them all back on the cookie sheet to easily retrieve them with tongs for frying.
~The great thing about making chicken tenders at home is that you can trim ALL the fat off. Often, I don't thoroughly enjoy restaurant chicken tenders because I'm always worried about hitting fat or grissle. These babies are SO tender from the buttermilk soak and completely fat/grissle free (to chew anyway). ;-) Also, both Matt and I remarked at how non-greasy these chicken tenders are. So nice on the hands and tastebuds!
~For lunch today, I put a couple cold tenders in a tortilla with some lettuce, shredded cheddar and a touch of ranch dressing. Mmm!

de Basic Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 Tbs cider vinegar
2 Tbs Worchestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp prepared mustard
2 Tbs chili powder

1) In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients.
2) Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer at least 10 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home